It’s almost here. That time of year when you check the weather on your phone and think you’re reading an oven temperature instead. Summer days in the triple digits are becoming more and more common in the area, but that’s where your air conditioner comes in!
During the long hot weather season, your poor AC must work harder than a marathon runner in training to keep up with your cooling needs. If you don’t properly maintain your system with at least an annual tune-up, the chances that your AC will experience a critical failure skyrocket. That means high repair or replacement bills and wandering around in the inescapable sauna that is your home while you wait for the technician to fit you in.
That’s why we put together the ultimate AC tune-up checklist. Below is a list of things that need to be maintained in your AC. We hope this helps you as you shop around for a good AC maintenance service or when you attempt to do a little DIY.
What Every AC Tune-Up Should
- Check the air filter and replace it if needed
- Assess how well the unit is installed and adjust when appropriate
- Ensure the AC has enough open space around it to circulate air well
- Check the thermostat for accuracy and recalibrate
- Turn on the AC and observe how well it works
- Determine the amperage and voltage the AC is using while in operation
- Check that all safety controls are in working order
- Check and clean the components of the blower
- Check and fine-tune the blower motor and belts
- Cycle the AC to ensure proper startup, heating, and cooling
- Measure the temperature when the unit is on and off
- Evaluate system airflow
- Examine electrical connections and tighten any loose wiring
- Make sure all moving parts move properly
- Check and clean the evaporator coils and the condenser
- Measure and recalibrate the refrigerant charge
- Examine the condensate drain and apply treatments if needed
It’s a lot to think about when we lay it all out like that, isn’t it?
How an Air Conditioner Works
Air conditioners are complex pieces of equipment designed to keep your home cool. They contain a closed system of refrigeration lines that run between an indoor unit and an outdoor unit. The system pulls in warm air using a motorized fan, where the refrigerant in the interior evaporator coil absorbs the heat. The cooled air then gets sent into the ducts to cool the home. The hot refrigerant flows to the outdoor unit, where it releases the heat and cools back down, only to flow back into the house again and repeat the cycle.
Get expert help to keep this cycle working as it should by calling Frymire at 972-620-3600.
Common Air Conditioning Problems
Because of the complex way your air conditioner works, several things can go wrong. Some common air conditioning system problems include:
- Leaking refrigerant – Without refrigerant, your AC can’t cool your home.
- Sensor malfunction – The thermostat sensor near the evaporator coil can malfunction, and this means the unit won’t know when to cool the air it’s pulling in.
- Drainage issues – Condensation is a natural part of the AC cycle, but you can have problems with your system if it does not drain properly through the drain line.
- A dirty air filter – Make sure you replace your air filter regularly because a dirty filter can prevent your AC from operating well.
If you’re experiencing any of these problems, contact our AC repair professionals.
Air Conditioner Maintenance
To avoid problems like these, make sure you keep your air conditioner well-maintained. A preventive maintenance appointment at the start of the cooling season can tune up your system and get everything working efficiently. This will maximize your comfort and lower your energy bills as the cooling season progresses. You may also extend the life of your unit by investing in maintenance.
Schedule preventive maintenance by contacting Frymire Home Services and ensuring your AC is ready to deliver reliable cooling all season long.
Choose Frymire Home Services for All Your AC Maintenance & Tune-Up Needs
At Frymire Home Services, our motto is “A Higher Degree of Comfort.” We strive each day to live and work by this standard. That’s why we created the Victory Comfort Club, a VIP HVAC maintenance plan that offers incredible value, protection, and peace of mind year-round. In the Victory Comfort Club, you’ll save hundreds on your AC tune-ups and receive exclusive deals and discounts not available anywhere else.
Call us at 972-620-3600 or contact us online today to learn more about our affordable and thorough AC maintenance plans.